Juggling the daily competing demands of a business can leave little time for employers to familiarise themselves with the various areas of employment law.
Training in employment law for employers, managers or staff is often a very cost effective way to ensure that all key personnel involved in a business are aware of the most important employment law issues. Our practical training sessions empower employers and managers to make the important business decisions with the confidence that they are fully complying with the law. We also offer staff training which can improve workplace relations, staff retention and increase productivity.
The feedback we regularly receive from our employment law training sessions is that attendees find it highly valuable in helping to understand employment law issues. Our training can help attendees recognise and deal with issues at an early stage before they can impact on both the business and the bottom line.
Every business needs to have managers who are able to handle employment and disciplinary issues in the workplace effectively. Below are a few of the areas of training that we can provide. We can also provide bespoke training for your specific requirements. Please do contact us for any area of employment training that you require:
Getting the basics right:
- Using the contract of employment to protect your business
- Getting policies and procedures right
- How to manage recruitment
- Recent changes in the law
Some key areas:
- Holidays, sick pay and time off work, managing a flexible workforce – With every employee now entitled to ask to work flexibly how will you deal with this in practice?
- Social media for your business – Ensure your business keeps ahead of the curve with this session looking at types of social media, and the legal issues arising from your business and your employees’ use.
- Whistleblowing – Ensure your managers and staff know what to do in a whistleblowing situation.
- Discrimination and equal opportunities – Understanding the law and the protections that it provides to employees.
- Respect at Work – Training for staff to promote respect of work colleagues and minimise conflict in the workplace.
Managing problems and exits:
- What to do about difficult employees – Ensure your managers know how to manage employees whilst minimising the risk of potential claims.
- Discipline and grievance issues – following fair and transparent procedures in disciplinary and grievance matters is vital. This training session gives employers and managers an understanding of the right way to handle issues to avoid the pitfalls.
- Managing strained relations – If staff can’t work with each other this can have a significant impact on the business. We look at the tell-tale signs and steps an employer can take, which policies can help and how to avoid common pitfalls.
- Bullying and harassment – Recognising the signs and understanding the employers’ responsibilities.
- How to address changes in the business – Manage redundancy, reorganisations and restructures. Alternatives to dismissal and changing terms and conditions.
- How to deal with exits – managing the departure of staff, when and how to use without prejudice discussions, protected conversations, and settlement agreements.
Our range of employment training can be delivered to large or small groups, and can be designed to suit business owners, employees, managers or HR professionals. Please contact us with your requirements.
We also host regular employment seminars at our Glasgow and Edinburgh offices. If you would like to be kept up-to-date with our employment seminar dates simply fill in your details in the contact box on this page.
We offer straight talking, commercially sound, business focussed advice. Based in Glasgow and Edinburgh, we cover the whole of Scotland and beyond. Our highly rated employment law team has an excellent reputation and you can be confident that you have the necessary expertise on your side to guide you every step of the way from consultation to final solution. We can also offer ongoing HR support and advice. Our aim is to provide you with the correct commercially targeted advice that will save you time and money.
We cover all aspects of law including corporate, commercial, personal matters and litigation. For all your legal needs, we’ve got them covered. For more information please visit www.bto.co.uk
- Settlement (Compromise) Agreements and exit packages / discussions
- HR Advice for Businesses and Organisations
- Contracts of Employment, Policies and Procedures
- Disciplinary and Grievance Issues
- Redundancy – Issues to consider for your business
- TUPE Transfers and Competitive Tendering
- Tribunals – Employment Disputes, Representation and Resolution
- Absence Management