Dealing with disciplinary and grievance issues can be difficult, but if not handled properly they can quickly become a major distraction to your business. Poor management of grievances, discipline and dismissals can leave your business vulnerable and can be very costly in terms of time, money and damage to employee relations. It is vital for employers to always take advice before dismissing employees.
Awards in “normal” unfair dismissal cases can now exceed £90,000 for high earners, and in other cases there may be no limit at all on the compensation that can be awarded. The financial impact can be much greater in terms of your business’ bottom line. Lost business hours dealing with disciplinary and grievance issues are multiplied if you end up in front of an Employment Tribunal facing a claim of unfair or constructive dismissal due to failing to deal with these processes correctly.
Putting in place and following the right procedures helps protect your business and minimise the risk of a legal dispute. Whatever stage you are at, whether considering disciplinary action or in the middle of disciplinary procedure, it’s important to take legal advice straight away. We can help manage the risks from dismissal and grievance issues, so that you can focus on growing your business.
A few of the areas that we can help you with:
- Procedures for dismissing employees
- Management of grievances, discipline and dismissals
- Disciplinary meeting checklist
- Grounds for dismissal
- Dismissing employees with less than two years’ service
- Investigating discrimination, harassment and victimisation
- Claims of unfair dismissal, constructive dismissal, or automatically unfair dismissal
We offer straight talking, commercially sound, business focussed advice. Based in Glasgow and Edinburgh, we cover the whole of Scotland and beyond. Our highly rated employment law team has an excellent reputation and you can be confident that you have the necessary expertise on your side to guide you every step of the way from consultation to final solution. We can also offer ongoing HR support and advice. Our aim is to provide you with the correct commercially targeted advice that will save you time and money.
We cover all aspects of law including corporate, commercial, personal matters and litigation. For all your legal needs, we’ve got them covered. For more information please visit www.bto.co.uk
- Settlement (Compromise) Agreements and exit packages / discussions
- HR Advice for Businesses and Organisations
- Contracts of Employment, Policies and Procedures
- Redundancy – Issues to consider for your business
- TUPE Transfers and Competitive Tendering
- Tribunals – Employment Disputes, Representation and Resolution
- Absence Management
- Employment Law Training